1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

6:3, AA, LA are high. DHA low

Discussion in 'Optimal Labs' started by Dave Key, Apr 10, 2019.

1. Dave Key

Dave Key E-sick

I ordered these Labs through my chiropractor last month.
    I fasted overnight and blood was drawn about 10 a.m.

Omega-6:3 ratio 5.1 High
    DHA 3.6 Low
    Arachidonic acid 11.9 High
    Linoleic acid 26.3 High

The rest were in normal range:
    CRP 2.41
    Pregnenolone 37
    Leptin 2.5
    Cortisol, salivary .32
    Arachidonic acid EPA 4.1
    Omega 3 total 7.9
    EPA 2.9
    DPA 1.4
    Omega-6 total 40.4

At the time these Labs were taken I had recently stopped using opiates which I quit a month before these labs were taken. I've had several surgeries over the last few years and became dependent on them for pain relief. My sleep was completely trashed. I was sleeping about an hour before a dream would wake me up, over and over all night. I was prescribed prazosin to control nightmares and Temazepam to help sleep. I'm off of them now as well and can sleep 6 to 8 hours on good nights.
    It was also about the time I started sleeping on my magnetico.
    I don't understand why my Omega ratios are so high. I eat pastured beef, bacon and eggs. Twice a week I eat a dozen raw oysters and include fish in my diet as well. This also confuses me about having low DHA.
    My cholesterol is usually High as well.

Is this all just Environmental? There's not much I think I would change about my diet.

Any suggestions?

Last edited: Apr 10, 2019
  2. Katie Durham

Katie Durham New Member

Not much DHA in oysters or beef. Fish should be fatty fish. Eggs might have a plant-based O3 with negligible conversion to DHA.

In the lab results I've seen, "normal" means average, nothing really to do with healthy levels.

Dave Key likes this.
  3. Novah

Novah Gold

Dave, where's home? If you're coming from a winter/northern climate, your body's going to blow through and need more omega's in the winter than summer. How much wild salmon and other high omega fish are you eating? This is a great read - he recommends eating 6 ounces of wild salmon 4 times per week.
    https://www.amazon.com/Omega-3-Effe...mega+3+effect&qid=1554926953&s=gateway&sr=8-1

4. Dave Key

Dave Key E-sick

I'm in Mid-City New Orleans, heading to the Yucatan in 3 weeks. Staying for the summer to see if I can find a good place to live.
    My pastured beef supplier will be out of beef for a couple weeks so I will be switching to fish in the meantime. I eat a dozen raw oysters couple times per week. I haven't been eating much fish lately, had a couple drum fillets last weekend though. Drum is similar to redfish.

5. Katie Durham

Katie Durham New Member

Fatty fish, not just any fish. You need to confirm the DHA amounts to know you're eating the right kinds. Oysters are an excellent source of other nutrients, just not DHA.

Solidsilverteeth likes this.
  6. Dave Key

Dave Key E-sick

Thanks Katie. I will add more salmon to my diet

Katie Durham likes this.
  7. Dave Key

Dave Key E-sick

Thanks Novah for the book reference. I'm only 50 pages into it and I can understand already why my labs are the way they are.
    I'm getting omega 6's from the nuts I snack on ( pecans, walnuts, pistachios and macadamia nuts) and the high beef intake.
    I'm not eating enough fatty fish either. Top of my list today is finding some wild salmon to replace the beef.

Solidsilverteeth and Novah like this.
  8. Katie Durham

Katie Durham New Member

Did you mean you were getting omega 3's from those sources? Just asking because although walnuts have a lot of O3 they have much more O6, which is why I avoid them. I limit myself to a couple brazil nuts a day (potentially very high in selenium, although that will be covered by seafood), and some almond butter on celery as an occasional snack. Jack announced last fall he wasn't so concerned about the O6 to O3 ratio but I think that assumed there is enough O3 (more specifically enough DHA) in your system. O6 and O3 can compete for metabolic pathways, which is not as important if you aren't filling your DHA quota by converting a lower O3 source. O6 is important, but like O3 that isn't tied up in cell membranes, as a polyunsaturated fat it is more prone to oxidation than a saturated fat would be.

9. Dave Key

Dave Key E-sick

I mentioned the nuts as a source of Omega 6. I was making a nut mix with the nuts I mentioned above along with olive oil, fresh rosemary and garlic.
    I was also making smoothies with almond milk, probably another no no. It usually contained spinach or kale and I was also adding cinnamon, red pepper, iodized sea salt and a few drops of stevia for flavor. The greens and the cinnamon are sources of oxalates, I recently discovered.
    Lately I've been putting together salads with onions, avocado, greens, garlic and topped with either a can of wild tuna or wild sardines.

10. Solidsilverteeth

Solidsilverteeth New Member

What is wrong with walnuts? They have so much goodness.

These pickled walnuts have Tannins which has so many benefits.

This is the only way to eat the green outside shell if you pickle them

11. Katie Durham

Katie Durham New Member

They are often touted as a good source of O3. True, but they are much higher in O6, and O6 and O3 compete with each other. Which is fine if you're ok with that, I just don't like the false advertising about them.

Dave Key and Solidsilverteeth like this.
  12. Solidsilverteeth

Yes it's good to know thanks.

I love walnuts, especially the green outer shell which is so good for you.

13. Dave Key

Dave Key E-sick

Last edited: Apr 24, 2019
    Christine_L likes this.
  14. Dave Key

Dave Key E-sick

A recent ultrasound shed light on these labs of mine. The report noted hepatic steatosis, fatty liver. Not good but explains a few things...

Last edited: Apr 26, 2019
  15. Solidsilverteeth

Not sure if this is the right place to ask this, but some people say hemp seeds and hemp powder is very high DHA, and some say yes it is but it's not as good as getting from seafood etc.

Is hemp a good sourse of DHA? If so in what form? Seeds or hemp protein powder or something else?

16. Dave Key

Dave Key E-sick

salmon, herring, mackerel, anchovies and sardines have a profile of around seven times the omega-3 oil as omega-6 oils.
    Hemp seed oil contains a 1:4 ratio of omega-3 to 6. Not good

17. Solidsilverteeth

Thanks for that. Do you know how hemp protein powder compares?

18. Dave Key

Dave Key E-sick

I doubt the powders are any different

19. Katie Durham

Katie Durham New Member

I stay away from powdered fats. They tend to be oxidized.

Solidsilverteeth and Dave Key like this.
  20. Solidsilverteeth

Yes that's powdered fats, but what about other powdered plants.

What do you think of powdered moringa?

Moringa is one of the most nutrient dense foods known to mankind. The green powder is easy to mix into water and drink everyday, but is there any harm in doing this?