1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

5g airports

Discussion in 'Beginners Area' started by Melinda Hood, Aug 27, 2018.

1. Does anyone know how to do determine if an airport is 5g?

Does anyone know if Cancun is a 5g airport?

2. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

Cancun is not. Most international US airports are .

3. Lahelada

Lahelada New Member

What is the evaluation criteria,please? All portal airports or hubs in other words are 5G? Is it the VOR system ?

Melinda Hood likes this.
  4. ElectricUniverse

ElectricUniverse New Member

Airports in a 5G world are likely to be some of the unhealthiest places to spend your time.

As Dr Kruse said, it has already arrived at major international airports. But don't worry, all minor commercial airports are likely to be fully enabled soon.

Airport authorities are busy ramping up by installing necessary equipment to handle 5G networks, including densifiying antenna nodes (distributed antenna systems-- physically smaller radio antennas needed for efficient 5G transmissions-- exactly like those cropping up all over major urban areas).

I suspect these airport 5G networks will use every trick in 5G technology book, including typical massive MIMO antenna arrays and beamforming to handle big crowds of travelers milling around and using data hungry mobile devices.

Don't forget full-body backscatter scanners at gates (and now there are millimeter wave scanning units coming into service).

Today, once you board your flight you also have wi-fi available in many cases. Imagine that-- a long metal cylinder full of idiots beaming RF radiation around their cabin. Add to that higher cosmic radiation exposure in these happy skies and the picture is complete.

5. Lahelada

Lahelada New Member

Thanks @electric universe. My question goes more to how far away you need to live from an airport. Dr Kruse mentioned not to live within 15 miles. I want to establish whether this is due to the radar guidance systems.

Melinda Hood likes this.
  6. All good information. Thank you! I am curious to know how I will be able to tell when Cancun airport is 5g. Does anyone know that? It is important in terms of long term visits to Isla de las Mujeres or Puerto Morelos. Both are great areas in the Yucatan and also very close to the airport.

7. ElectricUniverse

Lahelada,

My apologies, when you mentioned 5G I thought you meant wireless telecommunications.

I understand that airport surveillance radar (the classic radar that tracks planes in sky) is slightly different RF than that used in telecommunications. To quote Wikipedia:

"In the US the primary radar operates at a frequency of 2.7 - 2.9 GHz in the S band with a peak radiated power of 25 kW and an average power of 2.1 kW. The secondary surveillance radar consists of a second rotating antenna, often mounted on the primary antenna, which interrogates the transponders of aircraft, which transmits a radio signal back containing the aircraft's identification, barometric altitude, and an emergency status code, which is displayed on the radar screen next to the return from the primary radar.[1] It operates at a frequency of 1.03 - 1.09 GHz in the L band with peak power of 160 - 1500 W.

Note the high power in wattage. The good thing is that radar generally looks away from the ground and up at the sky. Nonetheless, terrestrial objects will get exposure depending on distance and elevation.

I do remember Dr Kruse stating somewhere to live at least 6 miles away from military installations that use radar, e.g. air bases. That probably ups the ante a bit compared to commercial radar. If you are in a hellish hot spot like Las Vegas you have both a major international airport and a big military air base in city area. One can imagine the sick and sleepless people in Lost Wages.

Don't forget local weather radar installations either.

I am looking to move soon and I immediately reject house listings (no matter how attractive) near airports, even in our rural areas.

There is a video talking about radar radiation levels near airports (Australia, provided by a vendor selling stuff):

If you have an RF meter you can drive around your local airport and get some rough and ready readings, too. Make sure your meter can detect radiation in multiple GHz range.

Lahelada likes this.
  8. Lahelada

Lahelada New Member

@electric universe Please ,no apologies on the contrary,thanks for the detailed answer. You have cristallized some thoughts I have on that. It is very interesting what you explained. I do the same as you and avoid international airports and will avoid living near one.That is easy to do, I just wated to be able t explain it better.
    The only thing I could think of at distance are the radar installations. Looks like that is it. He says it here . https://forum.jackkruse.com/index.php?threads/living-close-to-an-airport.20224/#post-224604 and here
    https://forum.jackkruse.com/index.php?threads/living-close-to-an-airport.21226/#post-239988

9. digital

digital Gold

@Lahelada:

60 miles at least. Source:
    https://www.faa.gov/air_traffic/technology/asr-11/

Melinda Hood and Lahelada like this.
  10. digital

digital Gold

11. digital

digital Gold

12. digital

digital Gold

Over the Horizon Radar - DOD

Attached Files:

Lahelada likes this.
  13. digital

digital Gold

https://news.clearancejobs.com/2015...on-radar-system-contract-dod-daily-contracts/

Raytheon Co. Integrated Defense Systems, Sudbury, Massachusetts, is being awarded a $65,060,438 cost-plus-fixed-fee, indefinite-delivery/indefinite-quantity contract for engineering and program support services for the relocatable over-the-horizon radar system in support of the U.S. Navy Forces Surveillance Support Center of Chesapeake, Virginia.

This contract includes a four-year ordering period.

Work will be performed in Chesapeake, Virginia (47 percent); Marlborough, Massachusetts (29 percent); Huntsville, Alabama (22 percent); Premont, Texas (0.5 percent); Freer, Texas (0.5 percent); Vieques, Puerto Rico (0.5 percent); and Pounce, Texas (0.5 percent). Work is expected to be completed by August 2019.

Lahelada likes this.
  14. ElectricUniverse

That 60 mile range cited in your article probably does not take into account the radar horizon for ground objects. I assume it means a detection range 60 miles away but well above the horizon.

If you live in a typical US region like me, with commercial airports and military air fields scattered within a reasonable distance of most population centers, this 60 mile buffer would mean moving out of region and into a remote area.

Radar horizon effect is caused by fact that radar is line of sight emissions (OTH radar uses a different technology).

Wikipedia cites radar horizon as:

"defined by the distance at which the radar beam rises enough above the Earth's surface to make detection of a target at low level impossible. It is associated with the low elevation region of performance, and its geometry depends on terrain, radar height, and signal processing. This is associated with the notions of radar shadow, the clutter zone, and the clear zone."

There is a mathematical formula for determining radar horizon under different circumstance (including atmospheric refraction or bending of radar beams), but for practical purposes a radar on 75' tower has a range over ocean of perhaps 10-12 miles.

If you factor in ground clutter from terrain (mountains, hills, etc.) this probably cuts down of radar emissions dramatically anyway. If you live in a mountain valley, a densely wooded area, or in hilly terrain you are probably in good shape.

Military grade radar may have classified capabilities and thus be more dangerous. Who really knows?

In any event, I have my trusty RF meter that can detect up to 8 GHz so I think I will rely on actual measurements rather than a simple rule of thumb with regard to radar hazards.

As I always say, if you don't measure it you don't know squat.

Lahelada likes this.
  15. digital

digital Gold

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_Route_Surveillance_Radar

The Air Route Surveillance Radar is used by the United States Air Force and the Federal Aviation Administration to control airspace within and around the borders of the United States.

The ARSR-4 is the FAA's most recent (late 1980s, early 1990s) addition to the "Long Range" series of radars, a solid state Westinghouse system with a 250-nautical-mile (460 km; 290 mi) range.

All ARSR-1/2s were replaced by the Common ARSR by the end of 2015. Common ARSR is abbreviated as CARSR. The CARSR has a 200-nautical-mile (370 km; 230 mi) range, and shares transmitter components and software with the FAA's newest airport surveillance radar the ASR-11. Like the ASR-11, the CARSR is a completely solid state RADAR.

Melinda Hood and Lahelada like this.
  16. Anya

Anya New Member

Are australian airports 5G?