1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

35 Yr Old Male Firefighter - My Journey to Feeling Awesome

Discussion in 'My Optimal Journal' started by fireforlunch, Jun 3, 2013.

1. fireforlunch

fireforlunch New Member

That's precisely what we are trying to do right now.

Our house is on the market so we can move into something small, save up some money for a few years then move to some land.

We don't care at all about the stuff.

The challenge is that we owe more on the house then it's really worth so it's tough to get a decent offer on it.

2. fireforlunch

fireforlunch New Member

Day 4

BAB: 6 eggs and some leftover chicken cooked in oil in butter

Lunch: Salad with paleo ranch dressing and 5 pieces of bacon

Dinner: A couple of tilapia filet's and green beans cooked in bacon grease

CT: 60 minutes with ice on my chest and stomach (oops did it in warm water)

3. fireforlunch

fireforlunch New Member

Day 5

Feeling really tired today even though I got some decent sleep last night. However the night before was a rough night at work. Only got about 4 hrs sleep and that was broken up.

BAB: 2 Cans of sardines cooked in olive oil and butter, bulletproofed green tea (steeped) with 1 tbsp butter and 2 tbsp coconut oil; half an avocado

Lunch: Salad with paleo ranch, some mixed berries with 1 tbsp butter and 1 tbsp coconut oil

Dinner: leftover paleo meatloaf, grilled onions and veggies in butter and oil and coconut oil

CT: 60 minutes in the tub with ice on chest and stomach

Last edited: Jun 26, 2013
  4. caroline

caroline Moderator

As I said before - you will figure it out........it won't be easy but I think you are still pretty young and you know what is at stake. Have you read Dr. K's facebook page today?

5. fireforlunch

fireforlunch New Member

Yea I found out a big piece of the puzzle yesterday - I have hypothyroidism, which really explains several of my symptoms even though my labs show that I'm not leptin resistant.

I have not read JK fb page but I will check it out, thank you

6. caroline

caroline Moderator

I don't remember if you have said ..... Have you read the iodine thread ... and more specifically ..... The Iodine Crisis by Lynne Farrow? It is available in kindle.

7. caroline

caroline Moderator

Grizz is the go to expert here ..... He has done a massive amount of work on this topic.....

8. fireforlunch

fireforlunch New Member

I will check out the iodine thread and the book, thank you

Okay, I will have a look at his threads and posts, thank you

9. fireforlunch

fireforlunch New Member

Day 6

Slept from 10pm to 4:30am straight then in and out till 6am.

Missed the sunrise but I did get about 5 minutes of watching the sun around 6:15

BAB: Leftover Tilapia; 10 pieces of bacon; about a half onion cooked in butter, oil and coconut oil

Lunch: Salad with olive oil and vinegar; coconut oil, butter and bacon grease all mixed together

Dinner: Smoked chicken with some grilled veggies; mixed 2 tbsp butter with 2 tbsp coconut oil with a little salt - very yummy

CT: 25 minutes with ice on my chest and stomach laying in water about 74 degrees

Gonna try several days without eggs and see if I feel any increase in energy

Last edited: Jun 27, 2013
  10. fireforlunch

fireforlunch New Member

Day 7

BAB: Half a can of mackerel cooked in bacon grease; a few ounces of leftover smoked chicken; decaf green tea with 2 tbsp butter and 2 tbsp coconut oil

Lunch: Salad with olive oil and vinegar

Dinner: smoked chicken with mixed veggies cooked in olive oil and butter, some coconut oil on the side

CT:35min in the tub - water was around 65

Really felt crappy today and very irritable.

Mowed the yard in my bare feet

Last edited: Jun 28, 2013
  11. fireforlunch

fireforlunch New Member

Day 8

BAB: 1/2 can of mackerel with a couple ounces of chorizo sausage with some coconut oil and butter on the side

Lunch: salad with olive oil and basalmic vinegar

Dinner: Steak cooked rare - about 24 oz sweet potatoes (trying a refeed) cooked in olive oil and butter with some coconut oil on the side

CT: none today - at work

12. fireforlunch

fireforlunch New Member

Day 9

BAB: about 10oz steak cooked rare, 3 pieces bacon, some butter and coconut oil

Lunch: Salad with a couple pieces of bacon, olive oil for dressing

Dinner: rotisserie chicken; salad with olive oil dressing

CT: none today, traveling for a much needed vacation

13. fireforlunch

fireforlunch New Member

Day 10

First full day of a week long vacation at my sisters house which will entail sitting by the pool all day pretty much every day

staired at the sun for about a minute than my BAB

BAB: ham and some salad with olive oil

Lunch: Salad with olive oil and a couple pieces of bacon

Dinner: Steak cooked rare; salad with a couple pieces of bacon and olive oil dressing

CT: 45 minutes in a cold bath with about 20 lbs ice

Still feeling really fatigued and I see that I'm gaining weight even thought I'm following the Leptin Rx.

I assume it's because of the hyperthyroid

14. fireforlunch

fireforlunch New Member

Day 11

Staired at the sun for about a minute then BAB

BAB: Rare steak with and 5 pieces of bacon; some butter and coconut oil on the side

Lunch: Salad with ham and olive oil for dressing; some butter and coconut oil on the side

Dinner: Crab stuffed flounder and salad with olive oil

CT: Cold bath with about 20lbs of ice. Gonna go back to the ice on the chest for 60 minutes - the cold bath is only around 68 degrees and it's killing me

15. I'll go back and read through a decent amount of this thread, I started reading in the beginning and started reading this last page, I just wanted to put it out there you should maybe consider changing up the fats and see how that affects you. Olive oil has been notorious lately for adulterated sources, many times you may not even be getting pure olive oil, and the olive oil that is in there may be very low quality and adulterated. You may be having reactions to the compounds in the olive oil. The one thing I love about Dave Asprey's work is he really advocates experimenting with how things make you feel, such as overcooked foods negatively affecting cognitive function. Maybe stick to the butter/coconut oil for a few days, then add back in the olive oil and see if you have less energy/worse cognition/weird feelings.

Keep up with the CT as well. I don't know how many people on these boards feel about cold showers but I love them. On days you can't do ice baths or long sessions of spot icing, just take a quick cold shower, even if only 2-3 minutes. It won't be as pronounce of an effect as an ice bath, but as long as you are getting goosebumps you should be activating BAT as far as I know, I believe shivering indicates more of a glycogen depletion.

16. fireforlunch

fireforlunch New Member

Very interesting idea about the olive oil, i will give it a shot

Yes, i always do @ least 2 min of cold in the shower

Thanks so much

17. caroline

caroline Moderator

I hate cold showers ..... they are so hard! I do do them however.....

18. fireforlunch

fireforlunch New Member

When the coldest temp u can get is 78 they are not that bad, lol

19. fireforlunch

fireforlunch New Member

Quick update.

Haven't been keeping this up because I was enjoying my relaxing vacation so much.

I stayed on track except for eating bleu cheese chunks several times with my salads.

It was the most relaxing vacation I've ever had.

I literally sat by the pool ever day except for the one day we went to an amusement park.

I was barefoot pretty much the entire time except for the park day and a couple times I went to the store.

20. caroline

caroline Moderator

So very glad you are having a relaxing vacation. .....enjoy. I think blue cheese is wonderful! Life is good?