1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

23andme

Discussion in 'Optimal Labs' started by nonchalant, Apr 27, 2012.

1. Joann

Joann New Member

it says my hair has slightly curlier...maybe when I cut it short there is a slight wave. lol

100% european 2.7& neanderthal

2. vkiernan

vkiernan Silver

How old is your kid, a lot of kids go curly at puberty. Mine got curlier the older I got like over 40. Strange.

3. You could be right, but Dr. Kruse told me to get a male in my family to do the test for more info on me. Just going by what he told me specifically. Hey I'd like to know more anyway even if it is just the ancestry info!

4. Same here! Must be those darn hormones again!

5. chocolate

chocolate Silver

My boy's got wavy on the ends like nonchalant described at about 25. I think its whisker extensions, its side burn adjoining . He keeps it very short, so you can't see it. My brother has a mostly black wife and he's pasty white. My baby nephew has straight blonde hair. I didn't think that was possible. I was sure we'd finally see curls. You just can't tell. Whatever you get, its somehow exactly what you wanted or needed. lol

6. freesia

freesia Old Member

Hi,

Knowing your mutations without someone knowledgable to interpret what it means for your case is really only a first step, but for Methylation and some of the Cytochome P450 snps you can use this: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0As5xqg3KuimidDZVRWxKa1gwS0p2a2ZhcnlGSGhPUnc#gid=4

If you're familiar with Dr Yasko's work or methylation pathways in general you'll recognise a lot of those genetics and your results might mean something significant. Use the Rs number to look up each individual snp in your 23andme "raw data" then use the "risk allele" to find your own mutations.

FWIW There are some there that I understand* are relevant when it comes to estogen metabolism. The COMT ones, and the Cytochrome P450 snps @ CTY1A1 - IE Rs1800440 and Rs1056836.

*From someone familiar with my health condition and the genetics commonly associated with it. (I have ME/CFS).

Hope that helps as some kind of starting point...?

:rolleyes: :confused:

PS you don't need snptips to use the document I linked to. Just a bit of patience as you flip back and forth from your 23andme raw data! My husband set up snptips on my laptop which helps when reading medical studies...but I'm not sure where he got it from. It's a Firefox add on....does mac run Firefox?

7. Joann

Joann New Member

Freesia, thanks for all info. I tried looking at raw data lol so much and not in order for rs then I looked at Prometheas. I found one of the snp listed acetylation.

Looking through some on Prometheus ....the thing is there are contradictions .....like one is Slow metabilizer, and one is fast metabilizer.

Not sure how much weight to give one risk over another . or how much research is behind it.

I should have High hdl cholesterol! but I don't so its my fault?

8. I asked 23andme about the female test possibly needing a male relative for complete info. Here is their response:

The Y chromosome, which only men inherit from their fathers, is primarily used for ancestry purposes to trace the paternal line (father’s father’s father’s father etc). The health information at 23andMe relies on all of your chromosomes, which come equally from your mother and father, so there is no need to test a male relative. There is always the possibility that a genetic marker on the Y chromosome is found to be linked to a health condition or trait, but in this case the association would not impact you, as only the DNA you inherit contributes to your health and traits (along with non-genetic factors).

Cool!

9. TerrierMom

TerrierMom Gold

Is there another special going on???? I am waiting for a price drop to get hubby and me tested!!