1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

23andme - now what?

Discussion in 'Optimal Labs' started by Lyndra, Jan 8, 2013.

1. Lyndra

Lyndra Gold

I took advantage of the $99 price last month and got my results back today. Now I'm wondering how best to interpret them.

I know about geneticgenie.org and the Yasko spreadsheet and have started to dig into http://www.heartfixer.com/AMRI-Nutrigenomics.htm. This is all complex enough, though, that I am interested in finding someone to help me interpret. I suspect that one misinterpretation on my part could have a major impact on the conclusions.

So, for those of you who have gone down this path: did you do a consult with Dr. K to better understand your results? Somebody else (Tim Jackson)? Or just a lot of research on your own???

2. DarleenMB

DarleenMB Silver

My results aren't in because I decided to wait until after xmas to send the kit back. But I'm wondering the same things you are. So the site doesn't help much with interpretation? Is that what you're saying? and yeah, anyone have any good suggestions?

Just a side note, since I popped for the test I've been thinking about another consult in about April. Still have to find a new doc here though and get cracking on more testing.

3. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

you could come see me in Sante Fe in a couple of weeks............

I'll leave my guns at home!

4. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

23andme is the first step.......just tells you if you have the defect.....if so then you go for formal SNP testing. The other thing to do is get a B12, HCY, Vit D and serum folate test done within 2 months of the 23andme.......

5. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

Tim can be found on FB MTHFR support group. Tell him I sent you to him........He is a great guy and very dialed in on methylation issues.

6. DarleenMB

DarleenMB Silver

Well SHOOT, so to speak. Where's the fun in THAT?

And I would LOVE to come see you in Santa Fe. But hubby wants a river boat vacation this year as well as a pre-christmas visit to disneyworld and if I don't get those booked and paid for I will be living in the dog house on a permanent basis.

7. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

http://www.distancebetweencities.net/wy_and_nm/route about 120 bucks in gas

8. Lyndra

Lyndra Gold

I don't see any interpretation at the site in the manner I want. It does give information about likelihood of disease, carrier status, traits, and drug response, but doesn't analyze the SNPs and tell me what to do [​IMG].

9. endless

endless New Member

What is HCY? I'm waiting on my 23 and Me results and could get those other tests done now....

10. Lyndra

Lyndra Gold

Probably homocysteine.

11. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

yes it is.......

12. DarleenMB

DarleenMB Silver

Do you have ANY idea what the roads can be like this time of year? Not to mention the frickin' traffic in Denver is enough to age one about 20 years. I've been in Wyoming too dang long, LOL.

I have a better idea depending on how YOU are getting routed out to NM. If you're coming through Denver and going back the same way why not do the meet & greet there? Saves everybody an extra plane ride and about a 5-7 hour layover at DIA.

Just a thought.

ETA ... if the roads in NM haven't improved any they have potholes large enough to drop a semi into AND there's at least one or two passes to get over. Yes I'm a coward when it comes to winter driving. I have my reasons.

13. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

snow mobile.........travel and CT at the same time You're a wuss.........

14. DarleenMB

DarleenMB Silver

Um, isn't that what I just said?

I tell ya what. You come out here sometime in the dead of winter when the snowfall has been so heavy they close the interstate from border to border. Or spend 4 hours instead of 2 driving home from Billings in the dark with the snow so thick you cannot find the road and when you do get to the city limits they close the road BEHIND you (which, I suppose, is better than them closing it BEFORE you get home leaving you stuck out on the Rez overnight and you'd better be damned sure you have a sleeping bag, a candle and a tin can, some matches and a jug of water). Or better yet, make that 125 mile drive from Billings in the dark on black ice when even the semi's are doing 5 mph. OR the roads are sorta ok, icy and snow packed and the frickin' semi's are doing 70 and when they zoom past you the snow they throw up is so thick it blinds you completely. Watch out you don't drive off that drop off. NOW you can tell me I'm a big baby.

Oh and I don't think even MY backside could take than long a trip on a snow mobile, LOL.

15. caroline

caroline Moderator

I can just picture Darleen on a snow mobile - making a road trip to Santa Fe. I have been chuckling all afternoon over that!!!

16. DarleenMB

DarleenMB Silver

have you ever been to Wyoming-Colorado-New Mexico? From here to there is a major 2 day car trip. On a snowmobile it would probably take a month and I'd probably take 6 months to stop vibrating.

I'm still thinking about it. I believe I actually have more than enough air miles to cover the ticket. So who else is thinking about going to the party?

17. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

I would love to go... can't swing it as I'll be prepping a major conference - in which I've been designated "chief cat herder"

18. Lyndra

Lyndra Gold

Reminds me of the day my sis and I were driving back to Gunnison from Crested Butte. It was a full-on blizzard - tons of snow and blowing so hard you couldn't see anything. I was riding shotgun and put on my ski goggles, rolled down the window and yelled at my sis whenever we got close to driving off the side of the road. Does CT in a fear state heighten the response I wonder? Ah yes, winter driving can be "interesting."

19. Rascal

Rascal New Member

What's going on in Santa Fe?

20. Charlotte

Charlotte New Member

Yes, Darlene, you take the doghouse and let the doc sleep with hubster. And if you strap the doghouse on your back you have a place to stay in Santa Fe also.