1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

20 min bath or hour long spot CT?

Discussion in 'Cold Thermogenesis' started by BJK77, Mar 22, 2012.

1. BJK77

BJK77 Gold

If those were your choices, which would you do to get the biggest bang? So far I'm only managing about 20-22 minutes in the tub at 55 degrees water temp. I just can't stand more and most evenings I don't have the time to do more either, which is going to be the case tonight. I figure I should be able to get an hour of spot CT'ing in though since I can do it while making dinner, doing the dishes, etc.

2. omlh@todmi.com

omlh@todmi.com New Member

I do both - bath mid-afternoon, then walk the dogs to warm up, and spot CT during the evening. That way I don't feel guilty if, for any reason, I miss a bath. I also make sure that my shower is cold in the morning as well.

3. Ane

Ane New Member

I have only done the baths, but I have not been able to get them cold enough. I am going to do both this evening.

4. villjamur_stevenson

villjamur_stevenson New Member

I think the biggest bang will be the 20 minute cold bath. Maybe add a little ice to get it down to 50 F?

I've done both and the bath definitely gets my entire body down in temp. Imagine all those skin sensors sending signals at once.

However, the bath process takes some time for me - so I use icepacks for the convenience if I can't fit in a bath.

5. sandy

sandy New Member

The bath is much more uncomfortable to me(therefore more effective??) than the spot CT. But, since I am sitting here on my ass reading this forum anyhow, I have ice packs on. I will continue with the baths tho

6. JC2K

JC2K New Member

For me, I just started using a cold vest for an hour and I've noticed that I have less tolerance for the showers/baths on the day that I do (more shivering, unpleasantness). So I've been alternating, vest day, bath day, etc. I'll try both again in a bit and see if I've adapted.

7. Riversedge

Riversedge New Member

I just did my first bath. I have been doing showers. Made it for ten minutes with the shower running on my chest and stomach. Wow what a difference the tap water is still at 50° here I'll post any changes in sleep. Lately I can't sleep I'm hoping it helps.

8. Glamorama

Glamorama New Member

I think baths are more efficient at you reaching your goals with CT. I know it sped up the process for me... for 3 weeks I only ever did spot-CT, but didn't really get blasted into great results (muscle gains, better sleep) until I included full submerges.

9. donkjellberg

donkjellberg Silver

My vote is on immersion. I have been acclimating with my pool at 62 degrees. I have done 45 minutes. A local gym has a cold pool that I plan to use next. I believe it is 50 degrees.

I use cold showers too but also need hot showers in order to get clean since cold is not as effective in that arena. Have to open up those pores.

10. I agree...I think I remember Dr K say you will cold adapt much faster in water. I do spot CT in the morning with ice packs and cold bath at night. But I have been wondering which would be more optimal - the 40 mins I do in 55 degree water or 20 mins in 50 degrees? It is all I can do to convince myself to get in the 55 degree water and I freeze my already flat tushy off

11. Clabbergirl

Clabbergirl New Member

It seems like logic would dictate that immersion gives the greater benefit for reasons like more skin receptors feeling the temp change, quicker reduction in overall skin temp, etc. But doing something is better than nothing, surely. What can you manage in 20 min?

There's significantly less prep and clean-up time for me to spot-ice 20 min than there is to immerse in a cold bath. Of course, if you've got a jacuzzi you can moderate, a pool, lake, etc., then it would be just about as easy as a spot-ice session. The only clean-up being to dry off.