1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

2.5 year old, can't get her eating DHA

Discussion in 'Optimal Kids' started by Sean Shick, Nov 9, 2015.

1. Sean Shick

Sean Shick New Member

I saw the thread that contained some recipes, there were 2 in there I know we can try. But at this point I am really focused on getting some DHA in her, and it just hasn't happened so far.

Is a supplement completely out of the question? She has taken no supplement so far...and I know food is always better. Thoughts?

Almost at the point of holding her down and shoving a sardine in there............j/k of course

2. Lahelada

Lahelada New Member

What is she eating at the moment?

3. Sean Shick

Sean Shick New Member

Her diet is not the best, not the worst, but here it is.

Very little processed food at all.

- cheese, best we can find.
    - yogurt
    - organic beef, not 100% grass
    - organic bison, same
    - corn tortilla fried in coconut oil(taco nights)
    - apples, banana, pomegranate, carrots
    - pretzels, goldfish crackers, Cheerios
    - a little dark chocolate
    - very little chicken( we don't really eat chicken )
    -homemade pancakes with coconut oil
    -some toast with good butter

And that's really about it. No fish

4. fitness@home

fitness@home Silver

How frequently do you try introducing fish into her meals? Keep trying and let her watch you enjoying your meal. Maybe offer her bites of your seafood first.

My kids are all grown up, but I recall my youngest (as a toddler) being excited because she was eating shark :). We lived in Florida then and had ample seafood available to experiment with.

Bottom line... don't give up!

nicld likes this.
  5. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

If she won't eat it........dont let her eat anything else. You are the adult and set the environment. Use the leverage to change the behavior.

6. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

When your proteins are lacking electrons from a lack of DHA putting someone in sun does little. Sunlight needs DHA to change magnetic signaling in our free radicals. This is what creates the triplet state. Sunlight cannot innovate change in us to alter our trajectory based upon our habits. Why? Simple habits are magnetic chemical interactions that occur time and time again and we revert to them because our dopamine levels sets them in stone. So if you keep letting the kid doing what they have done the kid will get what they have and you will deal with a child who becomes a troubled teen. Do something to change the habit. That something is limiting their choices........and going hungry. No one dies from fasting for a couple of days to set the new rules of existence.

Wake up. You're the parent. Stop trying to be their friend. Be the difference in their life.

7. Sean Shick

Sean Shick New Member

Ya, We aren't trying hard enough. Baby and Mom and just now going through the weening process and I think that I have been rationalizing the poor eating because Mom has done such a good job with the breast feeding; thinking that's shes getting what she needs from Mom. But all along I've been worried, made it to the front burner though now that the breast milk is stopping.

First time parent badge earned... /check

Tough Love Incoming!

"You'll Eat This Sardine AAAaand You Will Like IT!!!!! lol

Thanks People

Starfish Prime likes this.
  8. Sean Shick

Sean Shick New Member

What about supplementation? Yes no

9. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

Are you kidding me? Are you reading any of the blogs?

Danco3636 likes this.
  10. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

supplementing a baby brain with non SN2 DHA is akin to child abuse in my book.

Danco3636 and nikita like this.
  11. Sean Shick

Sean Shick New Member

10 4

I knew it was not optimal, I didn't know it was a horrible idea.

Food it is.

I'm a farmer Doc, not a genius brain surgeon...I'm playing catchup here; and I don't think too many do get to your level.

I cherish your cander, love the info, and the parenting advice.

Truly
    Thank you thank you

12. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

Stay here.......you can become brighter than me.......I had to over come my professional beliefs. Unlearning to relearn is a lot harder than learning........trust me.

13. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

I am not so bright............took me 40 yrs to figure it out.

14. nicld

nicld Gold

What worked with our daughter and eating new foods is present it to her, tell her she has to try two big bites of it, then she can have something else. Keep doing that and up the bites each time, it will work. The fits that were thrown in our house were epic but like Jack said, you are the parent and hunger will force her to eat. Also maybe start with tuna, salmon or a mild white fish like Christine said. Sardines have a pretty strong taste to me.

Good luck, you are on the right track.

Chrysanthemama, Linz and nonchalant like this.
  15. Linz

Linz Gold

Sean,
    I always told my children they should taste everything but never made them eat it all so they were not afraid they would have to eat much of the things they really disliked. Incredible how healthy their own choices were when there was no pressure (and not too much temptation from unhealthy alternatives).
    Over the last few years my health crashed and I changed diet and habits for myself. As I improved I realised that both teenagers were gradually doing more and more the same as me without prompting.

You can catch up. Farmers know a lot more about light and seasons than most .......... and lots about keeping things healthy rather than salvaging the sick!

16. Sean Shick

Sean Shick New Member

Thanks for the advice, love it. There hasn't been any major progress made yet. Biggest success was some wild alaskan salmon mixed up in some rice. I was actually super stoked to get that done. We have a long road ahead of us. I keep telling myself that she would fine living on bread and water, if thats all we had. But I think anyone here on this forum probably isn't the type of person that settles in ignorance. When ya love these little buggers so much that words can't describe, you just want them to eat some fish darn it...IS THAT SO WRONG!!!! lol

17. Just keep introducing it. Make no issues about it, just offer. Here's food!
    My kids love salmon cooked on the grill, or trout, or snapper, or tuna. They love oysters. In fact, I was so astonished when my oldest about 2.5 and she totally macked down our friend's tin of smoked oysters. I'd never eaten oysters as a kid, and was like, wow!
    Other things my kids have always liked: tuna salad--get creative! Crab cakes, salmon cakes, salmon burgers, tuna burgers, oyster po'boys (breaded with almond flour and baked and served on lettuce or coconut wraps), fish and sweet potato chips...there are many options out there. Get creative, don't stress. If you make food a "thing" they will resist more. Just offer, offer, offer.

18. Oh! And bacon wrapped anything.

19. Coreena

Coreena Guest

My son LOVES these salmon cakes I make. Super simple and delicious:

Sautee in butter/ghee:
    1 onion, diced
    Same amount of celery, diced
    When they are soft, add:
    1 package frozen organic butternut squash until very soft and mashable.

Meanwhile cook at 350 for 25 minutes:
    1-2 lbs. salmon in oven, with salt

Allow everything to cool, then mix it all in a bowl. Add 1-2 eggs if your child doesn't have any problem with eggs. Add some himalayan salt, a few spices (whatever you like), some good organic mustard to taste, and let chill in fridge if you have time.

Form patties, then fry up in more ghee/butter.

I always make a big batch so we can eat them for breakfast and lunch the next day.

I also use all of these same ingredients and make a salmon chowder. But I add bacon to that recipe too. I get salmon carcasses from our local fish store and I save all the skin/shells from my hubby's oysters and shrimp and make up a yummy fish stock. Pretty easy if you just look at some recipes online.

Scompy likes this.
  20. Scompy

Scompy Gold

Great point about shrimp...! And who on earth doesn't like shrimp? Talk about a perfect protein, selenium, B12 and iodine source as well!

Here's my spin: I was successful by referencing Spongebob Squarepants about the fabled Krabby Patties, telling my son I could also cook up the major secret ingredient. BOOM!

thisbirdhaswings likes this.