1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

15 year old who could use some advice!

Discussion in 'My Optimal Journal' started by Matty_M, Feb 4, 2015.

1. Matty_M

Matty_M Purple Angel Club

Keep up what you're doing and always improve where you can, I think- at least that's what I'm trying to do and it's slowly working for sure

Peertje80 likes this.
  2. yewwei.tan

yewwei.tan Gold

Already discussed in detail why RO water and Spring Water are both good -- http://forum.jackkruse.com/index.php?threads/dr-pollack-h302.14519/#post-164410

It's the EZ in the Cells that matter.

Also, Pollack doesn't discuss the effect of protons on the gut microbiome.

Danny and David Limacher like this.
  3. JanSz

JanSz Gold

4. What do you think about using juicing of certain vegetables in season? Would this be a good way to get in more EZ and protons?
    Or is it only bad when you have too much 02 in the gut?

Danny likes this.
  5. Danny

Danny New Member

Josh what about osteopathy for manipulating organs in the abdominal cavity, like treating for underlying issues such as hiatal hernia. Do you ever do any of this type of work to help those w/ digestive system. Excuse my ignorance of osteopathy. Not sure if you do this.

6. Danny

Danny New Member

Yew, I know everyone has different circumstances, but out of curiosity how long after moving to Cairns did you start to notice beneficial changes?

7. yes we do such things mate. diaphragm is a big target for such things

Matty_M and Danny like this.
  8. Cpt.Tired

Cpt.Tired New Member

Last week I actually had some energy for about 5 days or so. I accomplished a few things but then it disappeared. I feel that things are getting better as well but on the bad days it's easy to feel like you are just running in circles. Especially with the whole detoxing thing. You tissues may be clearing shit out but if your liver can't keep up with the demand your symptoms remain so it's easy to think that you are getting nowhere.
    It's really frustrating when you look healthy. People don't think that your sick or they forget easily. Plus because I'm trying to maximize the photoelectric effect I have a nice tan, much more than anyone else at work, so people just think that I'm out screwing around.
    I have a couple of co-workers that keep hassling me about going home when I feel a migraine coming on. They think that I'm just coming and going whenever I please.
    Frustrating sometimes. I guess if my redox potential was good it wouldn't bug me so much (LOL!)
    Anyway I'm with ya Dude!

SlamSlask and seanb4 like this.
  9. yewwei.tan

yewwei.tan Gold

Hopefully the below is also useful to Matt, since this is his journal :p

Answered here -- http://forum.jackkruse.com/index.php?threads/dr-pollack-h302.14519/#post-166073

I view vegetables as completely optional BTW, but I'm biased because most vegetables, especially green leafy vegetables, have given me issues in the past ;), and given that many other people share this same experience, I think there's a certain set of gut microbiome pathologies that allow for bad result with green vegetable consumption.

Since then, I've wavered on and off, to having zero side effects with vegetables during the longer light cycles (I actually had zero side effects from eating any kind of thrash :D), to feeling a bit bloated if I have them know (11 hours of daylight each day).

Sidenote: @Jack Kruse has mentioned vegetables as a good source of Sulfur. I have been wondering what the difference is between animal and vegetable sources. If we're talking about the absolute amount of Sulfur atoms, then seafood alone can provide enough. However, if there is something special about the Isothiocyanate groups found in vegetables, then they can be a preferential source of sulfur -- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isothiocyanate . Personally, I have done fine without high isothiocyanate-sulfur containing vegetables for months (though I eat lots of nuts, which do contain sulfur in some form, and of course, I eat lots of seafood).

I moved in Spring (September 2014), and noticed immediate benefit. No kidding, after the first day I was feeling a lot better. After the first week I saw no gut symptoms. After I secured a lease (about 2 weeks in), I had a beer and did just fine. o_O

Matty_M and Danny like this.
  10. Danny

Danny New Member

Yew, any thoughts on slippery elm for soothing the GI lining? Thanks

11. yewwei.tan

yewwei.tan Gold

Not really TBH. I did a private review of the Conifer Pine extract products, but not slippery elm.

This is one paper that shows the biochemistry -- http://www.scopemed.org/fulltextpdf.php?mno=17581

I haven't taken a look at it, but here are a couple of best guesses:

- presence of Salicyclic Acid => this is active ingredient in aspirin, and is also a COX inhibitor. This is probably the primary functional compound in the Slippery Elm. (note that like aspirin, it also likely helps with increases intracellular EZ)

- whole bunch of methylpentose sugars => potentially a good substrate for gut bacteria. This point is highly speculative.

- bunch of unknown flavanoids, which probably does induce light change in the gut

There are plausible mechanisms for benefit, but as usual, one has to experiment for themselves. I think the risk of harm is pretty low in someone like yourself.

Danny likes this.
  12. Penny

Penny New Member

I put slippery elm with some mag citrate in some water every night - great mucilaginous - coats the gut wall - unless of course, that's B.S. - marshmallow root is also good -

this stuff is great:
    http://www.nowfoods.com/Ulcetrol-60-Tablets.htm

13. JanSz

JanSz Gold

Love slippery elm.

It works up and down.
    Mostly to calm stomach
    but
    when my dance teacher lost her voice, I asked her to drink about 1oz water with few drops of slippery elm,
    minute latter she got her voice back.

Hurrah Jenifer.
    Hurrah slippery elm.

/

Last edited: Jun 5, 2015
    Danny likes this.
  14. Danny

Danny New Member

Penny, can you notice the difference w/ the slippery elm. Do you feel the soothing, calming of intestines?

15. Danny

Danny New Member

I need it more importantly to calm the bowels.

16. Danny

Danny New Member

Thanks for your other reply Yew. Btw do you take any vitamin K? I'm thinking about taking it temporarily for healing the GI tract.

David Limacher likes this.
  17. yewwei.tan

yewwei.tan Gold

Typically 5mg of K2 MK4.

Thoughts on K2 MK4 summarised here -- http://forum.jackkruse.com/index.php?threads/take-it-slow.9428/page-45#post-164343

I think something like 100mcg K2 MK7 could be useful, but then again, your gut bacteria are designed to make MK7 if they are functioning well. The general rule of thumb is "if you make it naturally, don't take it".

While I do not understand the feedback loops governing MK7 production in the gut, there is potential for supplementary K2 to cause disruption. The microbiome doesn't make MK4, and it is generally proven safe even with high doses like 50mg/day. If K2 MK7 is taken, it should ideally be in food form (like Natto)

Danny likes this.
  18. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

Bok choy is my number one veggie when I feel I need it. Brussel sprouts two. Onions garlic and mushrooms are always (year round ) in most things I eat. When I make bone broth they are always in it as well as celery.

19. Penny

Penny New Member

To be honest, it is the number one "regularity" supplement in the autism world... and we're so full of it around here:)

That's what I personally use it for - but I think anything slimy would help the gut - maybe that's how aloe vera works? avocado/coconut oil/marshmallow/DGL - look at the ingredients in "RepairVite" for some ideas - and also try the Leaky Gut RX - not sure slippery elm would "calm" the gut -
    Calming the gut would be probiotics and some easy to digest food and bone broth I would think?

Danny likes this.
  20. Matty_M

Matty_M Purple Angel Club

thanks a lot for all of the content everyone, it's very interesting and relevant to me with my gut issues.

update on my progress:

My current "interventions" (more like mitigating artificial human stuff) are as follows:

- looking towards the sun for a few minutes upon rising, getting out in the sun for at least an hour daily (way more on weekends and now summer vacation), avoiding fake light/using gunnars to mitigate the blue, avoiding fake light after sunset/using blue blockers (red colored laser goggles)

- CT (around 55 F, 12.5 C for 20-30 min daily- feels phenomenal!)

- gallon or so or ice cold spring water daily

- sleeping outside in tent (bottom cut, cotton sheet on ground)

- grounding a lot

- avoiding nn-EMF (esp. ethernet for computer and same coming for phone)

- red light therapy (20 min on lower back daily)

- meditation (usually during CT)

- epi-paleo diet, just started raw seafood and love it! I am also using the Leptin Rx to work on my carb cravings and physical ability while burning fat over sugar. I am mostly on the autoimmune protocol too to keep my inflammation down and avoid the allergy symptoms I've dealt with for so long, and it's working. I try to remain in ketosis, but once every few weeks or so I'll cave to some fruit/sweet potatoes because my body wants them so badly. This is my biggest area of uncertainty, and advice on this would be appreciated greatly.

- trying a one month regimen of some bypass minerals for what seem to be my methylation-related issues (I will have my 23andme results soon for confirmation)

- Doing stuff I like (soccer, swimming in creeks, nature walks, billiards, etc.), having fun

------------

At this point, my most profound symptoms seem brain-based, basically:

- occasional stress/panic attacks often coupled with extreme sadness, often made worse by the level of stress in my four children (triplets + 1) single mom household

- Also, I occasionally have carb cravings, but less than before (probably because of Leptin Rx)

I really want my muscles to be leptin sensitive so I can do stuff like play sports and not need carbs to support it (currently, I can't help but eat a
    sweet potato/fruit because of how appealing they become). Am I correct in the assumption that this is due to leptin resistance in my muscles?

The reason I want to remain in ketosis is because the mitochondrial and redox rx's suggest it for increased electron flow. Conversely, I have gotten recommendations that ketosis might not be best for everyone (in summer). Carbs make me feel good, but I can't tell if it is a sustainable good, or if I am masking a loss. Based on the blogs, masking a loss is what I assumed.

- I wake up with more energy compared to how bad it was when I first went ketotic months ago

- I have little/no stuffy nose, nothing compared to what it used to be! I think I will be able to introduce autoimmune foods in due time without my allergy symptoms coming back

- My energy is generally low, and it dips a lot- any ideas on what this might be? When this happens my brain gets foggy and I can't think.

- My gut is still often gassy (unless I take digestive enzymes + HCl with meal), so I feel like my food is not fully being broken down. I feel that this is a byproduct of being energy inefficient that will correct itself as I correct myself.

- my complexion is great currently (better than my avatar), and my cheek swelling seems to be decreasing (cortisol?)

- my bowel movements are happening without Mg (natural calm) but only every few days. I still take it sometimes because a movement lowers all my GI symptoms

- I don't have any dreams. If I do, they are nightmares I think. I can never remember them at all. Apparently this is a sign of low redox, which I am attemting to address. I also have ridges on my nails, another supposed sign of this.

- I often want to fall asleep when sitting in the sun, IDK why. Separately, I HAVE BEGUN TO TAN FOR THE FIRST TIME IN MY ENTIRE LIFE :D:D:D:D:D. I still can't believe it myself.
    ----------

Things I am working on/considering

- As you could imagine, getting socially isolated and obsessed with what I thought was rancid breath (even my parents disagreed..) for a few months, and generally being stuck in my thoughts from mid 9th grade to 10th grade really impacted my social life, which I am rebuilding now. It was all worth it in the long run, however.

- Based on my GI symptoms and the mitochondrial Rx, I think I should consider rebuilding my gut flora before I go abroad for the year, and I have two months, so I will probably work on the EPCOTx.

All the stuff I'm doing might sound like a lot, but it's really just a matter of organizing myself well and making it part of my life, which I love. This is a simple addition of some foods and supplements to what I'm already doing.

- I would love to get a girlfriend and it's looking pretty good for the summer, although I dont have much time before I go abroad so I'll just see how the wind blows

- My mom is a physical therapist so I will ask for a massage maybe just 30-60 min per week if she has time

- I feel I should walk more because I sit too much. I will also try my standing desk over sitting, but I get too fatigued and can't focus usually.

-----------

questions:

- Is ketosis probably the best move for me? If so, what might I do to remain in it without the carb cravings? I have been doing the Leptin Rx for a while, the only fluke being unintentional carb "refeeds"- but I did go for about 6-7 weeks a month ago without carbs. Since then, I've only had them once every two weeks or so.

Dave asprey suggests his Brain Octane/XCT (MCT) oils. I want to be able to play everythinf again but I'm not willing to depend on carbs, of course.

------------

I will be abroad with a host family for a year starting in two months in Bosnia and Herzegovina. Even though I'll be in a city, it is small (151k people), called Banja Luka (ja pronounced like ya). Maybe I'll find an experience similar to Yew, where my issues disappear within a few weeks :p. I wont get my hopes up, though.

What things should I consider as most important to try to do while abroad?

-
    I talked to a the program coordinator and she said I could definitely get sardines and canned fish at the store, so I will go for at least can of those daily. They'll want me to eat something while I'm away from the house anyway. I can imagine my host mom would be frightened by me if I fasted :rolleyes:

- I could try cold showers and cold baths in the winter, but I definitely won't be able to get ice when it's warm- that would freak a host parent out I bet (the coordinator agreed completely on that one)

- I will definitely bring my radio/EM meters and adjust my bed if necessary. They speak english, so it shouldn't be hard to explain my concerns. Any good ideas on how to "put" this? Maybe I will say "I don't sleep well in high EMF"

- I doubt it would be ok for me to wear my blue blockers, and I wouldn't want to make weird impressions. Any thoughts on this?

- I bet the water will be ok. If not, I would buy water bottles from the store whenever I could.

- I will bring grounding shoes and go barefoot whenever possible/acceptable

-----

For any of my interventions, symptoms, ideas, or my trip abroad, I would love to hear your guys' thoughts.

Thanks,

- Matt

seanb4 likes this.