1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

14 Day Fasting Experiment

Discussion in 'Biohacking 101' started by Jason Prall, Feb 3, 2016.

1. Jason Prall

Jason Prall Health Engineer

In about a week, I plan on doing a 10-14 day fast to find out my own personal physiologic effects.I'll be measuring some biomarkers before and after. In prep, I plan to get into nutritional ketosis for a few days prior.During the fast, I will be doing the following:
    • drinking shit loads of water
    • getting a ton of SoCal sun
    • doing daily cold thermogenesis (in ocean when possible)
    • grounding as much as possible (on beach sand & ocean water when possible)
    • blocking blue as usual
    • doing some Wim Hof style breathe work
    Any thoughts or cautions from physicians or those who've gone through multiple-day fast? Any advice if you've tried something similar?Note: this is not a food/no food experiment. This is an electron-flow, mitochondria, and light experiment.

mobeus, Danny, fitness@home and 2 others like this.
  2. seanb4

seanb4 New Member

I did a 30 day fast a couple years back which was a big FAIL. I wouldn't recommend it however things I did which no doubt made it 20x harder:
    No sun light.
    Massively limited water intake.
    No avoidance of nnEMF.
    No grounding.

Maybe you will have a better experience with the following however things to be prepared for:
    Being cold all the time. (will make CT very hard).
    Feeling very sick and having disgusting taste in mouth all the time.
    Feeling dizzy constantly.
    Not "hunger" but strong desire for food.
    Misery / depression.

Like I say I wouldn't recommend it but if it's only 2 week it shouldn't be too bad.

3. Jason Prall

Jason Prall Health Engineer

Interesting. Thanks for the reply.

I'm actually looking at this from an electron flow, lighting, and mitochondrial standpoint and am curious to see the outcomes from that view when looking at my labs. The point is actually to see if I do the right things, a 14 day fast may (may not) be very difficult and the expected shift in biomarkers.I then plan to do the same 14 day fast with a different set of parameters...not doing as many things correctly to see how big of a difference that might make.

mobeus and cantweight like this.
  4. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

I did a fast for 12 days and it was equivocal. IF worked way better. I do think the healthier you are the easier and better a fast as you are trying would be.

Cpt.Tired likes this.
  5. Pebbles

Pebbles Gold

Its now the 11th day - feel no hunger, just the smells are driving me crazy for that 20 minutes while .... still cooking for MDH:))
    Not so much natural light here - I am at 45L, so days start to get a bit longer, today down started at about 16.30. With SoCal light will be much easier.
    Overall, despite weak light season, I am OK.
    Started with a Mg cleaning. Shaded 7kg out of the 19kg plus I got last year in 2,5 month right after floxx. My tongue is clear and pink.
    Better mood, no signs of depression at all!
    In 10 days will have a big hormones lab, so wondering to continue or not? How will this influence my labs?

p.s. The doc got an Epi-paleo RX last yr in Nov - she was very happy to see something else than the 165gr carbs/day for IR protocol , so hopefully she gone thru it and also she muddled on the blog and forum as well:))

p.s.2 - My 73yo mom is doing it to:))

Jason Prall likes this.
  6. Scompy

Scompy Gold

My personal findings/biohacks:

For the last few months, I've been doing two shorter fasts per day (2-meals): Breakfast and Dinner only. That gives me about a 9-10 hour for my first fast between breakfast and dinner, and a 14ish hour fast from dinner to the next breakfast. Lots of water around lunchtime to help with any hunger pangs. On some days if I'm still hungry around noon due to a smaller breakfast, I'll only do a tiny bit from a protein source (like a fist-full). No lethargy anymore in the evening, stablized insulin levels, mental and emotional evenness overall. I have a large protein breakfast around 8am, then eat one last time around 5-6pm with a higher fats, lower protein meal. Works great with exercise timing, because 3-4x a week, I get a workout in before the dinner meal.

I used to do IF from the 9am-2pm window for a good year in 2013, but found it to be a major fail because of often waking up in the 4am window due to a lack of glucose if I pushed the fast past 16-18 hours in a sleep cycle. Also, that longer window wouldn't be compatable with trying to exercise in the afternoon.

cmegan and thisbirdhaswings like this.
  7. Barry

Barry New Member

Jason

I get your point but what do you want to achieve ?

why 14 ?

Hunger strikers , without electrons, UV, etc.... have survived up to 66 days without food.

maybe if you fasted for this long, and stayed healthy, and didnt die... then it would be something.

But going for 14, when you are already healthy, to look at some labs.... to prove or show what ?

Even seriously ill people, only need to do 3 day fasts, and it has been shown to regenerate the entire immune system

I've done a lot of fasting myself... but the context and the purpose needs to be clear

otherwise it can backfire... or at the least... be pointless.... just my 2 cents

lilreddgirl and Scompy like this.
  8. Scompy

Scompy Gold

For the past few months, I fast for 10 hours between breakfast and dinner and then fast again for 12 hours between dinner and the next morning's breakfast, I guess I could count that longer than a 44-day fast if I add all of my times together now lol. From my experiences too, longer than a few days is just not healthy. It was part of the reason why I ran marathons in the past for the error-in-my-thinking that I was benefitting from the running, when it was actually the UV being outside! What is an interesting takeaway to me is that I've found it's much harder to stay away from refined sugars than run a marathon or fast for 5 days! Seriously, eating ketotic in the winter takes a great amount of effort and fortitude with no recognition. I mention recognition because society rewards people for doing 10ks, half-marathons and iron-mans. Exercising is often made easier psychologically due to the numbing with an adrenline rush. This is why I also believe a marathon is easy-beans compared to getting your sugars down to about 15-20 grams daily, and it's exactly the sugar that spikes insulin that sets the body up for fat-storage if that's the goal to fast--to lose bodyfat. Fasting is probably harder than marathons for many people too.

I have to ask myself, "Isn't the better path doing what is the healthiest for the human body? Knowing what doesn't make us die as faster?" I wish I could take back the wear and tear the marathons did to my body, and the really long fasts the were total fails because they invoked more gluconeogenesis, and right after the fasts, promoted the behavior that it's okay to 'splurge more on junk food' because of the notion "I had been internally cleansed." It's utter hogwash. Anyone that finishes their dinner at 5pm and eats again at 7am gets a 14 hour fast daily for a shit-ton of cleansing. All of the past studies point to the optimal fasting window in the 16 - 22 hour range for HGH and leptin/insulin baselining. Beyond 24 hours, most studies show problematic things starting to happen. This is the message I'm saying. If somehow you're able to mitigate the damage caused by those activities, good-on-ya. Just throwing out my past experiences that those that over-train or over-anything that's not the natural human condition often (not always) have a shorter life expectancy. It's probably natural to go several days without food, no doubt, but I think the lines crosses into suffering, inflammation and gluconeogenesis to eat up our systems at a certain point.

cmegan likes this.
  9. cmegan

cmegan Silver

Scompy I totally agree with you...I have a history of fasting (veggie juices, water) but I felt that when I followed the protocol that you are doing I never felt better in my life and my liver function was so good! When I first did the LR reset 4 years ago I fell into a pattern of eating at the same times as you, about 7 or 8 in the morning and then around 5 at night. I remember being absolutely exhausted after breakfast for the first 4 days and had to nap (I was off from work) but then after that I had more energy than I had ever felt in years, no brain fog, etc. I look at both time periods between both meals as mini fasts. I have fallen off of this wagon since the holidays but I just started back on it today!

Scompy likes this.
  10. prAna303

prAna303 New Member

For me a fast would have its place in the coldest month...

Did it by accident in january, or it simply did happen.

Long trip into the wild. Four days planned with some company, the good thing was and i think this is vital, cold and snow.

The temp was about -13C down to -31C.

One meter of fresh pow.

Living outdoors 24 hours each day.

Going long distance each day, snowshoes.

I had no sense of hunger AT ALL. Did drink melted snow, five to eight litres each day.

In my own way of thinking, a fast should not be done in summer, to much natural food to chew up on and build some fat layers for the winter.

JoeBranca, cmegan and Scompy like this.
  11. Scompy

Scompy Gold

I find too that the hardest part of this journey is being truthful with ourselves. It's much easier to be truthful with the rest of society. Great to hear you're getting back on the wagon :)

Lotta insulin-wave-riding in my past, bad redox, leptin issues, obesity, etc. It's important for me to start every day with a good chunk of protein and usually seafood of some type. Dinner is a reverse process to increase the fats and lower the proteins. When I find I'm still a bit hungry at lunch, I'll munch on something small but not a full meal. Most days I don't want any lunch at all, some days, a little snack is fine. I'm not totally "must obey these rules" but instead, "listen to my body" once I've experimented with an eating pattern for a few weeks to make a proper analysis of the pattern.

12. cmegan

cmegan Silver

In my own way of thinking, a fast should not be done in summer, to much natural food to chew up on and build some fat layers for the winter.

I agree with this, fasting is more natural for us to do in winter since food would have been more scarce and we were more keto adapted

seanb4 and Scompy like this.
  13. Pebbles

Pebbles Gold

Finishd after 14 days the 0 cal fast. After almost one week returning to normal = keto, 1/day meal which many call it IF, my labs look like
    - Cortisol ( serum, noon) 203nmol/l - 7,96 yg/dl
    -Insulin 7,83 mIU/L - 54,26 pmol/L
    -Estr 267,64 pg/L - 982,5 pmol/L
    -Prog 1,45 ng/mL - 4,6 nmol/L
    DHEA-S- 9,8 umol/L - 362,96 yg/dl
    Test ttl 2,03 nmol/L - 58,5 ng/dl
    SHBG 106,5 nmol/l - 11,97 mcg/ml
    Free test index 1,9%
    -TSH 3,46
    FT4- 18,75
    FT3- 4,31
    BUN/Creatinine 8
    ACTH and rT3 will be ready 3 weeks later only.

SHBG increased, as usual during or after fasting, and DHEA increased as well, rest of labs were not significantly influenced.
    Pg/E ratio sucks, like before - perimeno knocks on the door.

From Doc- this comment was given to someone else. however I wonder if these applies to anyone with high SHBG:
    "If your SHB is high and estrogen levels normal then you can localize your electron steal syndrome to either the plasma or the liver. Based upon your other labs you appear to have a mixed pattern of both. Your DHEA level tells us that the IL6 in your CSF is likely higher than you want it to be and this could directly be affecting your liver via the vagus nerve. This picture you have painted here is one that is mixed. But make no mistake you have a significant loss of electrons occurring to ionize SHBG to lower its charge. This depletes your plasma of electrons and the SHBG rises because it can not do its job with a lower level of electrons present within the blood. This is concerning because it also means you might be at risk for clotting or DVT 's with excessive airplane travel. The water issue must be a player here. I think you need to move to abetter source like Spring water or RO water. I also think you could help yourself with significantly adding ubiquinol not ubiquinone to your regimen. Resveratrol of polyphenols from organic blueberries would also help."

Martin and jenaf like this.
  14. mobeus

mobeus New Member

@Jason Prall - What did you learn? Curious to hear your results :thumbsup: