Optimal Homemade Kevita

Discussion in 'The Epi-Paleo Diet' started by Souldanzer, Apr 18, 2012.

1. Souldanzer

Souldanzer Banned

I'm a fizzy, fermented drink junkie :D

Kevita opened a whole new world recently... and was emptying my wallet! I'm a pro at making Kombucha so I went on a mission to figure out the recipe. I'm a purist, so I actually like it better without the "natural flavors" added but I guess one could add some flavored stevia/juice if you care.

Ingredients:

- coconut water

- spring water

- pure probiotic powder (me thinks this would work with water kefir grains)

Add the coconut water to the bottles, about 1/4 to 1/3 of the bottle (I use original Kevita bottles that I saved and cleaned).

Fill the rest of the bottle with spring water.

Add the probiotic powder (takes very little to work, I add maybe 2 billion? and am decreasing the amount as I am experimenting).

Stir it up a bit if you care.

Put the lid on loosely and place in a warm spot.

After 24hrs, I tighten the lids.

2-3 days later (depending on temps) check for fizziness, if fizzy, refrigerate, if not, leave it out some longer.

ENJOY.

If you want to flavor, do it after the initial 24 hr fermentation. Sweeten with stevia if you want the original Kevita flavor/sweetness but keep it super low carb.

EDIT: Changed the recipe up a bit to work faster (don't skip the 24 hours aerobic fermentation before tightening the lids). This works with anything that has sugar in it... I've made a batch with a bit of 100 percent fruit juice diluted with water... fizzy.
  2. sandy

sandy New Member

thanks for posting

I am looking for a sub for my diet soda and I like fizzy

1- spring water? is this just bottled water?

2- does it matter what kind of coconut water you use? where do you get yours? coconut water is kind of pricey, isn't it?

3- where to get probiotic powder? how much is very little?

4- how warm does it have to be? I am all about the cold these days- our house is probably 50-60
  3. Patty Cakes

Patty Cakes New Member

Great idea Souldanzer! I've made fermented coconut water a lot but I like the idea of diluting it down with water. I have used kefir started from Body Ecology for the probiotic. I wonder can you just open up a probiotic capsule and use some of that?

Sandy - I use the frozen young coconut water from Body Ecology. It goes by another name now and I cannot remember. Whole Foods carries it. It is expensive but less so if you are diluting it down. Or I also use the fresh young coconut water right out of the coconuts. I will dilute with my RO water (with the minerals added back in).
  4. Souldanzer

Souldanzer Banned

@Sandy:

- just use the water you usually drink (does have to be filtered)

- I use the tetra paks from the grocery store, I guess you can use fresh coconut water from young coconuts (too much work for me...). I get a lot of bottles of Kevita out of a quart b/c I dilute it so much. You could use sugar water, like you do with Kombucha, but I want the added benefits of the coconut water in my finished product.

- go by what the label of the probiotic says... I add about 2 billion worth but am cutting down even more. My probiotic is 100 percent pure powder and super high quality (11 strain) that I paid a ridiculous price for... but this is a very good way to multiply my investment!! I think you can actually use the finished Kevita and just add a bit of that to every fresh bottle. Your goal is to out-number the bad bacteria with the good bacteria during the fermentation process.

I have no idea what fillers added to pills will do in this case...

- it needs to be between 70 and 85 I think. The lower the temp the slower your fermentation. I have my fermentation vessels up high on top of the pantries in the kitchen for this reason... warmest spot in my house. You can get plant starter warming mats for this purpose.
  5. Souldanzer

Souldanzer Banned

Anybody else having trouble with the edit function?

@Sandy: You will need to flavor this if you're not used to the taste of fermented.

@Patty Cakes: I'm trying to get my finished product to the little amount of carbs that is in Kevita... this one hits the spot with only about 1/4 of the bottle being coconut water and then fermenting it for a few days. And yes, I was trying to cut down on the $$$ as well! I use my regular probiotic powder which I am thrilled to have found a way to multiply!!

I will look for the frozen fresh coconut water...
  6. BJK77

BJK77 Gold

This sounds awesome Souldanzer! I've been thinking about formulating a homemade kevita as it's killing my wallet too . . . thanks for doing the work for me ;) I'm gonna try this tomorrow. I never knew I could just put plain probiotic powder in to ferment something. I've always used the Body Ecology culture starter and that in and of itself is quite pricey. I have the 11-strain Custom Probiotic powder, VSL #3 and Klaire Labs Therbiotic powder - all are very high quality and super potent, so they should do the trick!
  7. Patty Cakes

Patty Cakes New Member

I just made some w/ about 1/4 of the bottle with the fresh frozen coconut water. I used one Klaire Labs Therbiotic pill for three 16 oz bottles. I put it right next to my kombucha in the pantry so I'm thinking 3-4 days but maybe more to get it real fizzy. Thanks again and can't wait for the results.
  8. Souldanzer

Souldanzer Banned

@BJK77: I use the 11 strain Custom Probiotic.... ridiculously expensive, but I only need a dusting (like 1/3 of the child-sized spoon). And like this they multiply...

@Patty Cakes: might take a few days to get fizzy depending on temp... mine are super fizzy... I've been going nuts with it today, lol!! Got a new batch brewing already. Make sure the bottles are air-tight.

This does have very "fermented" taste without everything Kevita adds. I'm guessing a bit of stevia, lemon juice, ginger, etc. would flavor it similarly.
  9. Souldanzer

Souldanzer Banned

I'm going to try making this with brewed green tea instead of the added water ... for more optimizing :D

I think I'm breaking up with Kombucha, lol. It's just sooo hard to get all that sugar fermented out of the finished product. Anybody want some mushrooms...
  10. Souldanzer

Souldanzer Banned

Bumping up for Christi :)
  11. Sueville

Sueville New Member

This recipe for Kefir Soda Pop seems a lot like Kevita and you could use coconut water as well. I haven't made it yet, but plan to in the next week. Will post my results.
  12. David

David Silver

This sounds very interesting. I would really like some information on how to make this.
  13. Sueville

Sueville New Member

14. Got my water grains and am trying my hand at this now. I did NOT do well with milk kefir, so I hope this goes better. Lol the instructions said to add water kefir to water, kefir starter, sugar and dried fruit. I didn't have kefir starter so I used Kevita. Hope that works!
  15. Souldanzer

Souldanzer Banned

I tried the sugar version and found it gross... I do really like this with a little bit of juice as the sugar source. I've been using cranberry and pomegranate so far. Yum.
  16. So you can use the water kefir in coconut water no added sugar?
  17. finnite@dccnet.com

finnite@dccnet.com New Member

I`ve got this fermenting right now, using a touch of pear juice to flavor and hope it goes well. will let you know in a few days, thanks souldanzer for the recipe
  18. Souldanzer

Souldanzer Banned

Fermentation uses sugar, so as long as you have some sort of source of sugar it should work. The less sugar there is the longer it takes to ferment and get fizzy, my experimentation is showing.

You can use coconut water without the added sugar. I even dilute the coconut water to lower the carb content. If you go below 1:1 coconut to water ratio it can take a while to get fizzy, so be prepared to have patience :)

It works pretty fast with fruit juice I've noticed. I use very little if I use fruit juice (less than 1/4 of bottle) and fill up the rest with water. This stuff is a lot less acidic then Kombucha. I had a bottle of Kombucha the other day (also homemade) and wow, it hurt my tummy it was so acidic.

Store bought Kevita has way less probiotics than the stuff I make at home I've noticed.
  19. kathylu

kathylu Gold

I've been making home made kevita for several months now. It's easy. The recipe that I like the best is 11 oz of Vita Coco (100% coconut water), 6 oz of fruit juice (usually pomegranate for me) and 2 oz from a bottle of Kevita (to get the probiotic cultures), add water to fill a 32 oz container with tight fitting lid. Let ferment at room temperature for 3 days, taste a teaspoonful. If there is no trace of sweetness left and it's fizzy, sweeten to taste with stevia and enjoy drinking it. If sweetness is still there (residual sugar), let it ferment for another day or two. Save a few ounces to start your next batch. I keep two quarts fermenting all the time. It's gets cloudy, so you can see the little buggies floating around! Cheap, tasty, fun to drink and good for you!
  20. Patty Cakes

Patty Cakes New Member

Thakns Kathylu! That sounds like a great way to do it. I'm fermenting something similar with blueberry juice and young coconut water. I think I had too much juice though so may need to wait a while to get all that sugar out.