Lower leg muscle cramping - magnesium? or dehydration?

Discussion in 'Mitochondrial Rx' started by cinnamon, Mar 25, 2013.

1. cinnamon

cinnamon New Member

The last few mornings, when I wake up and stretch a bit in bed before getting up, I have experienced some muscle cramping in foot and calf. It's a mild version of what we called a "charley horse" when I was a kid. It lasts just a few seconds (thank goodness!) and I haven't yet had to jump out of bed to put weight on my foot to release it.

I've been introducing the Mito Rx over the past 5 weeks, adding one supplement at a time. I started with Magnesium Malate, then added D-ribose, then Ubiquinol and finally, a little over a week ago, Acetyl-l-Carnitine. I had already been using Mag Oil 2x per day since last summer.

I'm wondering if the leg muscle cramping might be a sign that I need to try to up the Magnesium? Or maybe it's a sign of dehydration? I'm also experiencing most mornings in the past week or so some mild headache on rising that clears after a glass of spring water. I am drinking so much more water than before, but perhaps my body is really dehydrated?

Anyone else experience this?
  2. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

I used to get leg cramps all the time. Magnesium works like a charm.
    The mild headache that goes away with a glass of water is dehydration for sure. When I started grounding I had to go nuts on the water. I'd start headaches several times each day, though they would go away fairly easily with water. I didn't have any cramps during this time, however.

I think with all the changes you are making, Cinnamon, your body is socking away the structured water and also using magnesium. I take 800 mg mag malate, plus the other recommended magnesiums. But I've been taking high levels of mag for years because of chronic cramps.
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2013
  3. Rachelle

Rachelle New Member

What about potassium? That can cause muscle cramps also.
  4. cinnamon

cinnamon New Member

Thank you nonchalant and Rachelle for your replies.

Thanks, Rachelle for the insight about potassium. I was not aware that potassium deficiency also causes cramps. I googled foods high in potassium and found the "top 10" included dark leafy greens like spinach, fish like salmon, avocados and mushrooms. I eat tons of all of these, so I don't think I am likely deficient in potassium, well, unless my body is not absorbing potassium well?

nonchalant, I love the idea that my body is soaking up the water and magnesium I've given it and is just asking for a little more, please! I have been doing quite a bit more grounding this past week as well, so maybe that is adding to it. I am trying an n=1. I did an extra application of mag oil after dinner today, concentrating particularly on the tops and bottoms of my feet. (I will do my usual mag oil application just before bed as well). I also had an extra glass of water this evening. I'll post tomorrow about what, if any, difference it makes!
  5. Hope

Hope Gold

Cinnamon..you could also be using up a lot of potassium. It works together with sodium....sodium and potassium levels also tell you about adrenal health. Are yours strong? If not, this might contribute.

Do you have any blood sugar issues? If so, your body needs a boat load of magnesium. It gets so depleted anyway. Glad you're using the mag oil. I know I take a ton of mag myself but not sure if I am absorbing it all. I find I sleep better since using mg threonate.

It's tough though to figure it all out. Sounds like your'e on the right track!
  6. cinnamon

cinnamon New Member

This morning I woke and stretched - no cramping! Yeah! I was thirsty though, and perhaps on the verge of dehydration headache about to start.

Today I am going to up the water a little all day. I will do the extra mag oil again after dinner.

I think I need to try to increase the oral magnesium a little bit. I've had to go slow to get it up to where it is now, but will see if I can increase a bit more over the next week or two. The Magnesium Malate tabs I have say they contain 1000mg of Magnesium Malate, but the elemental magnesium component is just 150 mg. So, this means I am currently supplementing orally 300 mgs per day. When I first started I could only tolerate a quarter tablet per day, so I have come a long way - just not far enough yet! In the meantime, maybe I should just up the dark chocolate and eat a few more brazil nuts! That doesn't sound like it would be too hard to do! ;)
  7. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

Sounds great, cinnamon. No pain is a good thing. :)
    How much water do you drink? People have been finding that drinking large amounts of water increases their ability to tolerate magnesium.
  8. cinnamon

cinnamon New Member

nonchalant, regarding how much water

I have been drinking about 4 litres (that's just over 1 US gallon) of cold spring water each day. Plus a couple of cups of green tea and a cup or two of seaweed water - both also made with the spring water. I've been going at this level for only about 10 days.

Before that, I was drinking about 2 litres and wasn't trying to have it cold. And in previous tap water days (tap water is fluoridated here, sigh - spring water experiment started about 5 weeks ago) I probably had about 1.5 litres per day.

The timing of being able to push the oral magnesium levels higher corresponds quite nicely to the increasing amount of good spring water I've been drinking. Interesting!
  9. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

It is interesting. Dr. K mentioned that magnesium is hydrophilic. Maybe if we drink water that is more structured, we can absorb more water soluble nutrients into our cells and nanotubes, like magnesium, calcium, iodine, phosphorus, iron, vitamins B & C...
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2013
  10. mafixit

mafixit New Member

I had bad leg and all over muscle cramps. I upped my magnesium for my 'migraine' headaches and the cramping. The more I took, the more muscle twitching and spasms I had. I stopped the extra magnesium and the twitching went away. What seemed to cure my muscle cramps was/is my BHRT therapy.

Unfortunately I still have my chronic daily headaches.

Karen from Arizona.
  11. curves64

curves64 Silver

Thank you all for this thread! I had been waking up with a slight headache myself for weeks since drastically increasing the amount of spring water I drank. I had to really focus on drinking it to be consistent. Yesterday, I drank a boat load of spring and mineral water and, today, voila -- no headache. Nonchalant, I think you are right when you commented that a morning headache was most likely the result of dehydration and the stocking away of the structured water. Very helpful!!
  12. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

Curves, glad it works for you. For some reason slight headaches seem to be the way my body is telling me it needs more water. Every single time I get one, I realize I haven't been diligent with the water. I drink some bulk water, and it goes away. I don't know why I just don't feel thirsty instead, but since I now know the secret code, I'm good. I have also been avoiding fluoride to the point of not drinking anything when I go to a restaurant. I carry water in my purse and have some of that before going in. I also brush my teeth using bottled water.
  13. Jonathin

Jonathin Silver

Poop quality seems to be another indicator of dehydration. Should be a 4 on the Bristol chart. Magnesium is huge. I had to take 800 mg at night and 400 mg in the morning first thing to finely get it right for my body. T3 seems to have helped somewhat also.
  14. curves64

curves64 Silver

Hmmm nonchalant you have me thinking. I never get thirsty either. I only started getting the headache in the morning when I started drinking high quantities of spring water. Before that, water was off my radar and, the water I did drink, was fluoridated. I'm going to have to keep my attention on this to see if there is a pattern that I can observe. Thx!!
  15. curves64

curves64 Silver

I still haven't gotten my poop at a number 4 consistently. I take 4000 mg of mg malate at night now. You have me thinking that maybe I should split the dose between the am and pm and consider any deviation from a 4 as a sign of dehydration.
  16. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

Curves, do you mean you take 400 mg of mag malate?
  17. curves64

curves64 Silver

LOL. Nonchalant, clearly I should not do math in my head! I actually take 2550 mag malate at night (6 tablets of 425 each). I heard Dr. K. talking about taking a lot of malate when he was ummmmm trying for a number 4. It definitely helps but now I'm thinking I might want to split the dose.
  18. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

I know iodine sure does the trick as well. Not so much now that I'm getting used to it.
  19. curves64

curves64 Silver

ohhh, i didn't realize iodine helped in that arena. Do you think that might explain why things are improving even more? Recently, I've been slathering iodine all over the moles on my chest and the little bumps on my face and any place else that looks like it wants it.
  20. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

Not sure about that. But ingesting it sure helps. Even when I was taking a very small amount it did wonders.